Bearposh Chinese Shar Pei / Canada

Forums

Forum Home > General Chinese Shar Pei discussion > Horse coat or Brush coat Shar Pei ?

bearposhsharpei
Site Owner

Well, I can only speak on the brush coat, as it is all I have owned. I was always a fan of only the BC, but after visiting my breeder and interacting with horse coat Shar Pei, they are NOT nearly what I expected. I think I could even own one!

I have allergies and truly believe, or believed, that the short pricky HC would cause me problems. It very well might, but I think I would give it a go, and just deal with it. I am a very huggy type of owner. This concerns me. Thinking a HC would not get near the hugs I'd want to give! But I am sure I'd find a way!

What coats have you owned? What are the differences if any between them other than the obvious feel? I have been told that there are differences. Feel free to share!

Devi

November 25, 2008 at 8:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melissa Bailey

Chloe is a brushcoat ... Ive never met a horsecoat:o

I bet they feel totally different eh?

January 10, 2009 at 8:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melissa Bailey

Well I am now the proud owner of a horsecoat and boy oh boy do they ever feel cool! Bristly yet velvety haha. Much different!

I like all three coats ... cute in their own ways :)

January 25, 2009 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

www.traditionalsharpei.com

I LOOOOOVE horsecoat Shar-Peis,their temperements is so different I want one from China.

March 21, 2009 at 9:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bearposhsharpei
Site Owner

I fully believe, from what I have learned over the last little while there is in fact a difference between the HC and the BC that goes far beyond the feel and look of the dog. I think I could own one in the future, but I would certainally look close at the temperament of the parents if they too are HC's. Please don't get me wrong here about HC's. I do like them. In fact my favorite Shar Pei in the world GRACE, (she is at the top of my home page) is by far at the top of my love list! She is why I think I could own a HC.......

Devi

March 21, 2009 at 9:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bearposhsharpei
Site Owner

Here is a classic horse coat:

Here is a classic brush coat:

These are the only 2 coat lengths that meet the Chinese Shar Pei

standard as it is written today. Any coat length over 1 inch at the shoulder is called a bear coat. A bear coat Pei can't be shown.

Although they are very cute and can pop up in the best lines, a

bear coat Shar Pei is really a Pei with an undesirable trait. I

think like all things in life, we all like what we like for one reason

or another. I think I will always lean towards the brush coat.

Devi

March 21, 2009 at 10:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sherry

most of my peibies have been brushcoats, my 1st pei was a horsecoat, my zanzy was a bearcoat.

May 6, 2009 at 10:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Merlin's Hope

It's horse coats or bust for me!!!

:)

May 7, 2009 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Susan

Have had both. Brushcoat sure is cuddly  

May 7, 2009 at 8:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sherry

i have to say my bearcoat was the clown of all my pei:)

May 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.